These notes are from the Sunday morning service on July 28, 2019.
Scripture: Jeremiah 29, James 4
What is Resurgence?
Defined: A growth or increase that occurs after a period without growth or increase.
- A fresh encounter with the presence of Christ
- A return to the same love, joy, excitement, and obedience that characterized you the day you got saved.
- An extraordinary work of God
“The word revival is sparingly used in the Bible. Though rarely used, the concept of spiritual resurgence is woven throughout the entire fabric of Scripture.”Harold Vaughan
Example from Scripture: II Kings 22-23, II Chronicles 34-35
Why is Resurgence Needed?
- Christians become weary in well doing. -Galatians 6:9
- Christians lose their thirst for God. -Psalm 42:1-2
- Christians develop a Sunday Morning Only mentality.
- Christians become complacent in service.
- Christians can lose their burden for the lost.
- Christians drift in devotion to Christ, backsliding from a church pew.
Why does Corner Stone of Naola Specifically Need Resurgence?
We cannot handle a “wave” should God send one!
“Watch and see where God is working and join Him.”Henry Blackaby, Experiencing God
“Our job as church leaders, like experienced surfers, is to recognize a wave of God’s Spirit and ride it. It is not our responsibility to make waves but to recognize how God is working in the world and join Him in the endeavor.”-Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Church
Three Observations About Waves
- God is the one that makes the waves.
- Ocean waves are caused by wind moving across the surface of the water.
- In Scripture, wind is an emblem of the Holy Spirit.
- Surfers just ride the waves.
- We respond to what God is doing and join with Him.
- Waves only last for a period of time. (Window of opportunity)
- Ephesians 5:16 – Redeeming the time, because the days are evil
Some Positive Things to Note About Corner Stone Baptist Church of Naola
- A loving congregation
- A congregation that desires to be taught Biblical truth
- A congregation that cares about reaching beyond the walls of this church building
- A giving congregation
- A congregation that is supportive of pastoral leadership
- A church that has exceptional men serving as deacons
- Our church has people who truly care about humbly serving the Lord
- Just in the last year there are people that we have seen God at work transforming their lives
All that being said, we are also a church that has leveled off or is in decline.
Not enough people have stepped up to replace those who are either no longer with us or are unable to continue serving at the level they once did.
Please visit the Resurgence 2019 section of our website to watch a video of this important message and to learn more about this major event in the life of Corner Stone Baptist Church coming up September 20-22, 2019.