Spending Time Alone With God
Quote of the Week: “The most important thing is your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It is first above everything else because who you are and who you will become flow out of your intimacy with Him.” –Dr. Charles Stanley
REMINDER: Word of Life Quiet Times begin today!
Here are the completed notes from the Sunday Morning service August 30, 2015:
Scripture: Genesis 3:6-9, 21
1. Reasons God wants to spend time with you
- He absolutely love you. Galatians 2:20
- He wants you to know Him. Philippians 3:10
- He wants to provide the direction, encouragement, comfort, and direction you so desperately need
- He desires your love
- He wants to prepare you. Ephesians 6:10-18 The Armor of God
2. Why God wants you alone:
Matthew 6:6, Mark 1:31, Luke 5:16, Luke 6:12, Luke 9:18, Luke 22:41
- He wants your undivided attention
- He wants to establish a level of intimacy that can only occur alone.
3. Practical means for spending time with God:
- Designated quiet time book
4. Practical Guidance for spending time with God:
- Establish a time to meet with God
- Identify a place to spend time with God. Psalm 5:3, Daniel 6:10
- Incorporate a plan for spending time with God
- Quiet yourself before Him
- Come before Him in Prayer
- Thanksgiving and Praise
- Ask for help when you read His word
- In understanding the Scriptures
- In listening to Him
- In making application of His Word to your life
- Read the Bible and meditate upon what you read
- Ask yourself
- What is the word of God saying in this passage?
- What is God saying to me?
- How can I apply this in my life?
- Helpful tips for making application
- Is there any sin to confess or forsake?
- Is there any caution for me to heed?
- Is there any promise for me to claim?
- Is there any example for me to follow?
- Is there any command for me to follow?
- Is there anything for me to be thankful for?
- Is there something for me to learn about the person of God
- Ask yourself
- Extended time in prayer
5. Hindrances when spending time with God:
- Misguided Priorities. Matthew 6:33
- Demonic Attack – Satan will try to distract you in any way that he can
- Sin in your lives. Unconfessed and Unrepented. Psalm 66:18, Isaiah 59:2